Now used at the municipal office building, located at 12 Bursthall Street.
From MarmoraHistory.ca: The Marmora Village Town Hall, built in 1913, has served as Law Courts, Badminton courts, Movie Theatre, and Operating theatre for tonsillectomies. It has swung to the sounds of minstrel music, reverberated with the laughter of vaudeville, and rung to the rally cries of union leaders, recruiting officers and politicians, including Prime Minister Arthur Meighen, and Provincial Premiers, Howard Ferguson and Bob Rae.
Located at 9 Matthew Street. We offer travellers and locals information on the surrounding area.
Located at 9 Matthew Street. Memorial Park is as wonderful as it is thanks to the hard work for the Crowe Valley Lions Club. There is a gazebo, cenotaph, splash pad, picnic tables along the river, and public washrooms.
Located at 9 Matthew Street in Memorial Park.
Located at 9 Matthew Street, in Memorial Park. It runs from Mothers Day weekend to Thanksgiving weekend every Saturday 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.
You can find all kind of great products at the market that can include baked goods, fresh produce, meats, flowers and plants, jewelry, woodworking, fishing supplies, crafts, quilts and much more.
Located in the William Shannon Room at the Library. You will find a variety of local goods from the end of March until early May before the outdoor market starts.
Located off Cameron Street, just south of the ball diamond.
Stop at Legion Park at the corner of Cameron Street and Matthew Street (HWY 7). There is a public beach for swimming, a baseball diamond, and a public boat launch just south of the park.
The river is split by the dam in town, and both north and south sides are great for fishing and have free boat launches. Launch your boat on the north side to connect to Beaver Creek and Crowe Lake.
The trail runs from Memorial Park at 9 Matthew Street to the public boat launch at Mag's Landing just north of the dam.
Parking is located on the south side of Matthew Street just west of Tim Hortons.
Owned by the municipality and overseen by a municipal committee, Nayler's Common is a hidden ecosystem great for bird watching and short hikes.
Saint Mathilda’s established in 1825 on the west bank of the Crowe River, was one of the very first Catholic churches in the interior of Upper Canada. Over the years, it served as the first church for other faiths as well. After 1875, when the new Roman Catholic Church was built, Marmora’s first church was abandoned.
More than 30,000 people have visited this farm. For more than two decades, visitors have claimed to witness holy apparitions when looking toward the sun.
Greensides Farm is open daily all year round and is located 3 km East of the traffic lights on HWY 7 at Greensides Lane (Blue #103414-86)
The Miners' Loop is a self-guided driving and walking tour that educates visitors about Marmora's rocks and minerals as well as its mining past. There are four stops along the tour: 1) Millside Park; 2) Hastings Trail; 3) Deloro Mine Site; 4) Marmoraton Mine Site. Stop into the Marmora Tourism Centre for more info.
In 1953 engineers had to blast through 120 feet of limestone before reaching the high-grade ore. The open-pit mine measures approximately 1700 feet by 1200 feet and reached 600 feet deep. The mine employed some 300 men who worked to fill the 30 to 35-railway cars daily for transport south to Picton port where it was loaded into boats. The mine produced 520,000 tons of pellets annually. When the mine closed in 1979, it had mined almost 1.3 million tons of iron ore. Over time, underground streams and rainfall have slowly filled the mine with water. So much so that it is now officially classified as a lake.
From its place in the Madoc Gold Rush to its innovations in creating and producing metals and alloys, Deloro played a key role in the history of mining and industry in Canada. There are also important lessons to be learned about the consequences of reckless exploitation of the environment – a legacy of our uninformed past – and the extensive cleanup that must follow.
While the first priority is to complete the cleanup of the mine site, the ministry is working with the community, heritage organizations, and other provincial ministries to preserve and promote the important natural, industrial, social and environmental history of the Deloro Mine Site. A heritage plan will be developed that will include preservation of several remaining structures, and the possible creation of walking trails and commemorative plaques once the cleanup is complete.
“LEST WE FORGET — THE PRICE OF FREEDOM graces the Digital Cenotaph component of the Deloro War Memorial. The Deloro War Memorial is the first digital cenotaph,” said Laura Forth, one of the project leads behind the creation of video and text content which will be accessible through a Quick Response Code (QRC), so people can walk up to it with their iPhone or iPad and scan the code and that will take them directly to a YouTube documentary.”
The biographical video will touch on the contribution of Canadian Forces, World War II and Korea War personnel, along with Deloro’s mining operation on the war effort. Click here to view this amazing film which has recently won several awards at film festivals around the world!