building & planning


See the Bylaw 2019-26 User Fee Bylaw

  1. Page 4: Property Planning and Zoning

  2. Page 6: Building Department Fees

documents + forms

  1. Application for Minor Variance

  2. Assessment Appeal Form

  3. Citizens Guide to Severances

  4. Citizens Guide to Subdivisions

  5. Citizens Guide to Zoning

  6. Consent Application Form

  7. Entrance Permit Policy

  8. Facility Rental

  9. Hastings County Consent Process Booklet

  10. OMB Appeal of Zoning

  11. OMB Appeal if Zoning By-Law not decided

  12. Permit Applications

    • Entrance

    • Sign

    • Septic

    • Deck/Garage

    • New House/Major Renovation

  13. Property Standards Reporting Form

  14. Rezoning Application

  15. Vacant Property Rebate Application

  16. Vacant Property Rebate Information

Building Permits

A building permit is your formal permission to begin construction or demolition. It means that the Municipality of Marmora and Lake has reviewed the plans for any new structure, addition or renovation. Plans must comply with the Ontario Building Code, local zoning by-laws and other applicable laws and regulations.

Building permits regulate the type of construction allowed in the community and help to ensure building standards are met. The building permit process protects each home owner’s interests, as well as those of the community and helps to ensure that any structural change is safe, legal and sound.

By obtaining a permit, you can also take advantage of the professional expertise of Building Division staff. Inspectors are good sources of information and can offer suggestions to help solve construction problems, often before they occur.

In many cases your designer or contractor will get permits on your behalf. However it is the building owner who is ultimately responsible for complying with all building requirements.


when YOU DO need a permit

  • Construct a new building

  • Renovate, repair or add to a building

  • Demolish or remove all or a portion of a building

  • Change a buildings use

  • Install, change or remove partitions and load-bearing walls

  • Make new openings for, or change the size of doors and windows

  • Build a garage, balcony or deck or enclose an existing deck

  • Build a utility shed over 108ft2 (10m2)

  • Excavate a basement or construct a foundation

  • Install or modify any life safety or fire suppression system such as fire alarms, sprinkler or standpipe or fixed extinguishing systems

  • Install or modify heating, plumbing and air conditioning systems, fireplaces, fireplace inserts and woodstoves

  • Install kitchen or bathroom cupboards with plumbing

  • Reconstruct a chimney

  • Build a roofless deck over two feet above grade

  • To finish a basement or convert a room to a bedroom

  • To install a pool or hot tub

  • Erect signage

  • Install a septic system

  • When you intend to alter the grade of a property greater than one hectare (2.5 acres), or next to an environmentally sensitive area.


when YOU DON'T need a permit

  • Replace existing, same-size doors and windows, subject to distance from property lines

  • Install siding on small residential buildings, subject to distance from property lines

  • Build a utility shed under 108ft2 (10m2), but the shed must comply with the Comprehensive Zoning Bylaw 2003-11. Sheds are not allowed without a primary use structure, and must have proper set backs from the property line.

  • Re-shingle a roof, provided there is no structural work

  • Install eavestroughs, provided that drainage
    is contained on your property

  • Damp-proof basements

  • Paint or decorate

  • Reinstall/replace kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing.

  • Erect a fence (except swimming pools and outside hot tubs require permits)

  • Electrical work (the Electrical Safety Authority, however, must inspect electrical installations)


It is unlawful to start construction without the necessary permits.

If you start construction without the necessary permits, you may be ordered to stop work, ordered to remove work already done, or prosecuted. Contact the Building Department if you are not sure whether you need a permit for your project.

A building inspector reviews projects during key stages of construction to ensure work complies with the Building Code and the plans originally submitted for review. The inspector may visit a site several times depending on the project. They must be able to see the work that requires inspection. An inspector requires a minimum of 24 hours notice to book an inspection.

The city does not conduct pre-purchase inspections. (For information on purchasing the services of a pre-purchase building inspection service, please refer to the Yellow Pages of the telephone directory.)

However, if you have questions or concerns about your new home, or to determine if a finished basement or apartment is legal and meets the Ontario Building Code and Property Standards requirements, you can contact the Building department.

As the new home owner, it is your responsibility to ensure you use the home in a manner that meets the Ontario Building Code. Do not assume the previous owner obtained a building permit before doing renovations to the home.

You can make an application for any type of permit, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at The Marmora and Lake Municipal Office:
12 Bursthall St., Marmora, Ontario, K0K 2M0

Land Use Planning

Marmora and Lake Comprehensive Zoning By-Law

Copies of the Marmora and Lake Comprehensive Zoning By-Law are available at Town Hall. 

2010-001    Zoning By-Law as amended
2003-11      Comprehensive Zoning By-Law


For more land use planning information visit

For more information contact:

Matt DeJong, Chief Building Official/By law Enforcement Officer